Tuesday, July 21, 2015

ARE WE COMFORTABLE YET ?

  I had a few errands to run, before 8:00 this morning. So, I left the house with dirty hair, and no makeup, in hopes of seeing no one I knew. I ducked in and out of the places I needed to be, with my head down, and returned home, my pride intact.
Lucky me.
 Who cares? People don't get dressed up to go shopping anymore. Really, people don't even dress up for church, weddings or funerals like they used to.

  We've come a long way from June Cleaver's day of defrosting the fridge, vacuuming the carpets, and re-grouting the bathtub, in heels and pearls.
This is how my mother dressed me everyday
I remember my mother wearing a dress, and stockings to Six Flags. I'm seriously saying stockings, not pantyhose. I feel tired now, just thinking about it.
 My aunt said she once asked Mom to go with her to pay a bill in town, and mom said she needed to change first. When she came out she was wearing a dress, white gloves, and a hat. After all, it was Springtime in the 1950's.

Grandmother Bacon going to church

  As ridiculous as that may seem, I believe our efforts to relax have crossed a line. Most women live in yoga pants, and sports bras, like they expect to stumble upon a work out.
 Since we quit wearing pantyhose a few years ago, I'm not sure everyone gets the concept of tights or leggings. Let me put it simply. We don't want to see your butt. Your top should always be long enough to cover your rear. If you are a white girl, don't wear white, beige, or pink leggings. You look like Porky Pig, who, as you know, did not wear pants. Get it?

  A woman came to my garage sale, wearing her swimsuit, and a cute, yet see through,
cover up. I thought, "Were you planning on taking a swim?" But, she had on jewelry, and a full face of makeup. I can't imagine how I would, ever end up anywhere, in a bathing suit. If the house caught on fire while I was in the shower, and all my other clothes were burning, you might see me in a swim suit.

  Men are just as bad. My pastor can walk from the pulpit to the gym, without ever having to change his clothes. With him, I find this endearing. He is raising 4 children and needs the ability to move quickly. At least he doesn't wear a bun.
  Why does the Man Bun bother me so? It's just not right. It goes against nature. You're a Man, for Pete's sake. Grow a beard.

  I look in my closet, and I'm ashamed to say, it's full of sneakers and flip flops.( Is it possible to own just one pair of flip flops? ) The only dress hanging in there, I wore to my daughter's wedding, 6 years ago. I guess I've given up, too.

  Tell me, America, are we comfortable yet?



 



 

 

No comments: